Saturday, June 12, 2010

YWPWT: Mango Margarita Pie

My Pear-Prosciutto-Gruyere pizza from last month tied for the win in last month's You Want Pies With That!  Awesomeness!  That meant that the other winner - Suz of You Can't Eat What? - and I got to pick the theme for June.  We settled on a very summery theme: pies inspired by favorite beach drinks.  I decided to go with a mango margarita, which is one of my favorite summer drinks!  I can definitely see sipping that on the beach.

This pie doesn't require any baking, and it's super easy, especially if you buy a pre-made graham cracker crust.  Unfortunately it didn't set very well at all, and ended up being more like mango pudding in a graham cracker crust rather than mango pie!  On the bright side, it was very tasty, with lots of fresh mango, lime, and a little tequila.  If I made this again, I might put the filling in individual sized graham cracker crusts so it wouldn't matter so much if the filling was soft.  Or, I might try adding some unflavored gelatin to help it set up properly.  Either way, this pie definitely delivers some great summer flavor and definitely reminded me of mango margaritas!


Mango Margarita Pie (adapted from Coconut & Lime, original recipe here)

4 large mangoes (about 4 cups mango flesh)
8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup tequila
juice of 1 lime
zest of 1 lime

1 9-inch graham cracker crust

Directions:
Place the mangoes, cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, tequila, lime juice, and lime zest in a food processor.  Pulse until very smooth. Pour into the crust. Refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours.



Ah, Mexico. I can hear you calling!

8 comments:

  1. I seriously can't wait to try this!! This pie is perfect for the "Summery Drinks" theme!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love the mango- that sounds so yummy! Thanks for a fun theme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun combo :) I love mango anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to take a bite of this pie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious! Thanks for the words of encouragement too :) Pudding or not, I want to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious and refreshing Sara. Mexico would be a fun place to visit~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm...this pie is absolutely beach worthy! all it needs is a little umbrella on top. YUM!

    ReplyDelete