Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Drunken Fig Jam with Port and Rosemary

I made this jam last fall the same time I made this fig-balsamic jam, and I finally got around to typing out the recipe.  This jam is sweeter and chunkier than the balsamic version, and best suited to slathering on freshly baked bread (at least in my humble opinion!)  I love the depth of flavor that the port adds to the figs, and you'll definitely want to use a high quality port here since the flavor does come through.  The rosemary flavor isn't as strong, but I think it adds a little extra kick.

Google tells me that fig season comes twice a year: in early summer and in late summer through the fall.  So, I guess that means you can't make this jam right now.  But, I had to share it because we recently opened a jar and I was reminded how very delicious it is!  (This is definitely the best part of making homemade preserves - eating out-of-season fruit that actually tastes amazing!)  Next time you see fresh figs at the market, definitely snap them up and try out this slightly boozy, super figgy jam!


Drunken Fig Jam with Port and Rosemary (adapted from Food and Wine, via Opera Girl Cooks)
Makes 4 8-ounce jars

2 pounds fresh figs, stemmed and minced
3/4 cup sugar
2 T lemon juice
2/3 cup port
1 6-inch rosemary sprig
1/8 tsp salt

In a large pot, toss together the chopped figs and the sugar.  Let stand, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.  Add the lemon juice, pork, rosemary, and salt.  Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved.  Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, about 20 minutes.  The fruit should be soft and the liquid should pass the gel test.  Remove the rosemary sprig, and immediately transfer to sterilized jars.  Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.  Let cool completely and check that lids have popped before storing the jam.

5 comments:

  1. Sara....I am such a fan of figs in any form! And you are so smart to make these preserves to enjoy out of season. Every summer, I swear I am going to do that with some berries. And then I am kicking myself in the fall and winter when I have none! This stuff looks luscious! And that photograph is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried figs before, but you have me convinced. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds amazing! I can imagine crusty bread, spread with goat cheese and that jam - yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! Almost dessert worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness does that sound good. I am always on the look out for fig season, and always seem to miss it.

    ReplyDelete