Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Stuffed Peppers with Pork and Rosemary

When I was younger, I hated bell peppers, and therefore I hated stuffed peppers. I'm glad my taste buds have expanded their range, because these stuffed peppers are fantastic!  The peppers are blanched before baking to make sure they get tender.  Then they're stuffed with a flavorful combination of ground pork, garlic, and rosemary.  Simple, and so tasty!  These make a great dinner with a green salad, and the leftovers keep well for lunch the next day.


Stuffed Peppers with Pork and Rosemary (adapted from Nigel Slater's Tender: A Cook and His Vegetable Patch)
Serves 4-5

Olive oil
1 large onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, sliced
3 sprigs rosemary, leaves plucked off and minced
2 large tomatoes, chopped
Salt and pepper
12 ounces ground pork
1 cup breadcrumbs
6 medium or small bell peppers
Grated Parmesan

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil.  Lightly grease the foil.
2. Heat a few glugs of oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Add the onion and stir for a few minutes until the onion is softened but not brown.  Add the garlic and rosemary.  Cook for another minute or so, stirring.Add the tomatoes, and cook until the tomatoes have collapsed into the sauce.  Season with salt and pepper, and then stir in the pork and breadcrumbs.  Cook for 3-4 minutes, until the pork is starting to cook but isn't fully cooked.  Remove from the heat.
3. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the seeds.  Lower the pepper halves into the boiling water and cook 6-8 minutes, until slightly limp.  Remove with a slotted spoon, and place skin-side-down on the baking sheet.
4. Divide the pork mixture among the peppers, and drizzle with a bit of olive oil.  Sprinkle with Parmesan.  Bake 35 minutes, until sizzling.

8 comments:

  1. Ooh, the pork and rosemary stuffing sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum these sound lovely. I've been wanting to try a new stuffed pepper recipe, so will definitely give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stuffed peppers are the best! Never tried it out with pork !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I didn't like peppers growing up either, now I feel my refrigerator is naked if I don't have any!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another wonderful Nigel Slater recipe! I haven't made this yet, but seeing your tantalizing photo encourages me. I love stuffed peppers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've definitely come around to stuff peppers also and love experimenting with the filling! These sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up eating stuffed peppers with ground meat, but pork is SO much tastier! Can´t go wrong with a NS recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pork and Rosemary stuffing-a wonderful combination of flavors, looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete