Saturday, January 21, 2012

Coleslaw with Cumin-Lime Vinaigrette

I didn't used to think I liked coleslaw, I think because I'd only had the limp, gloppy stuff you often see in cafeterias.  Once I discovered vinegar-based coleslaw, I realized that this dish can instead be a bright, crunchy side that showcases fresh veggies.  This particular slaw is dressed with a lime-and-olive oil dressing with a bit of spice from hot sauce and cumin, so it's a little less acidic than a vinegar-based slaw but it still has lots of flavor.  This simple, tart coleslaw is the perfect topping for a pulled pork sandwich, as it provides some needed acid without overpowering the meat.  It would also be great for an outdoor picnic since it doesn't include any mayonnaise. 


Coleslaw with Cumin-Lime Vinaigrette (adapted from Bobby Flay)

For the vinaigrette
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp ground cumin (or 1 tsp cumin seeds)
1/3 cup lime juice
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 T minced fresh ginger
1 T honey
A few dashes of your favorite hot sauce

For the slaw
3 carrots, peeled and grated
1 small head green cabbage, shredded
1 small bell pepper, cut into thin slivers
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. Make the vinaigrette:  Warm the oil in a small pan over medium heat.  Add the cumin and heat until fragrant.  Let cool.
2. Combine the cumin oil with the lime juice, garlic, ginger, honey, and hot sauce in a blender, and blend until smooth.
3. Toss together all of the slaw ingredients, and then toss with the dressing.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

4 comments:

  1. The first time I tried coleslaw, I wasn't a fan, but over time I grew to like it. Yours looks fabulous, and I'm sure your right -- it would be a wonderful topping for a pulled-pork sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i haven't eaten a coleslaw.i still don't like the idea of vegetables.maybe i'll start by making this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post. You might be interested in a spicy and crunchy cole slaw I made http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2011/11/spicy-crunchy-coleslaw.html

    ReplyDelete