Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Winter Salad with Oranges, Dates, and Pine Nuts

Unfortunately I couldn't get a great photo of this salad, but I had to share it anyway because it was so tasty! It's perfect for winter - citrus contributes sunny, bright flavor; dates, a sweet chew; hardy baby greens make the salad feel more hefty and appropriate for cold months; and walnut oil adds a great nutty flavor.  I'd never used walnut oil before, but I love it - the flavor really comes through without being overly intense or bitter.  If you want to pump up the walnut flavor, you could add toasted walnuts for crunch -- I went with pine nuts because that's what I had on hand, which was also a great choice.


Winter Salad with Oranges, Dates, and Pine Nuts
Serves 2-3

For the dressing:
2 T walnut oil
1 T balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard

For the salad:
3 larges dates, coarsely chopped
1 large orange, supremed
1 small palmful of pine nuts
A few handfuls of greens - I used a 50/50 blend of baby spinach and baby arugula

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful winter salad. I love the combination of oranges and dates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like the sound of this salad despite my reservation about dates. Great salad idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sara for visiting my site and leaving a comment :)... Do try to make dosa at home...
    This is an interesting salad... never used dates in my salad.. will try this one....

    ReplyDelete